By: Ana Margarita A. Olar| Foodfindsasia.com
Our brain is a vital organ that regulates several functions in our body. Aside from cognitive functions, it constantly strives to maintain our body’s homeostasis or balance. In order to keep up with this workload, our brain needs a constant supply of brain-boosting foods. Here are some foods that can keep our cognition and memory in their top shape:
1. Oily fishes.
These include salmon, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines, and tuna. These foods contain essential fatty acids especially EPA and DHA that can be readily absorbed by the body to enhance brain function, general well-being and thereby, improving our memory.
• Tomatoes- contain lycopene, an antioxidant found to protect the brain against damage from free radicals which causes dementia.
• Avocadoes- this food contains omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that increased blood flow to the brain, lower cholesterol, and enhances absorption of antioxidants, all functions that leads to an improved memory. Also, it is rich in folate, vitamin K, and potassium that helps prevent blood clot in the brain and protects against stroke.
• Blueberries-contains antioxidants to protect against premature brain cell aging and flavonoids that improve link between brain neurons, which enhances cognitive function and memory.
3. Whole grains such as brown cereals, wheat bran, granary bread and brown pasta.
The glucose obtained from these foods are in a slow-release form which means that they supply a constant energy for the neurons, without increasing the blood sugar levels, thereby keeping optimum memory function throughout the day.
4. Nuts and seeds.
Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, beans, walnuts, almonds, and other nuts contain essential nutrients such as zinc, vitamin E, folate, omega 3 fatty acids, all of which protects the brain by fighting free radicals, delaying premature aging of brain cells, and preventing inflammation.
• Coconut oil- provides the body with medium chain triglycerides, thereby aiding in constant supply of glucose for the brain.
• Extra virgin olive oil- has powerful antioxidants known as polyphenols that improve learning and memory, and has been found out to potentially reverse age-related changes.
6. Herbs and vegetables such as broccoli, sage, rosemary, red cabbage, spinach, and celery.
All of these foods contain vitamin K, beta carotene, polyphenols, folate and vitamin A. these nutrients and antioxidants all contribute to enhanced blood flow to the brain, a constant supply of energy to the brain cells, improving overall cognitive function and memory.
7. Egg yolks contain choline and protein needed for brain functioning.
8. Green tea.
Recent studies show that green tea contains high levels of chemical epigallocatechin-3 gallate (EGCG) which is a potent antioxidant, essential for combating age-related brain degeneration.
Last but not the least, this “brain herb” reduces blood thickness, dilating blood vessels, thereby improving blood circulation to the brain.
Are you going to take an exam? Does your job include constant brainstorming? Are you often under mental stress? Then try munching on these foods to constantly sharpen your memory and keep your brain healthy.