Food Finds Asia | Sweet and Fit Stevia Brownies | Brownies are delicious. Rich in chocolate taste, dense and creamy, it is hard to take another bite out of a well-made brownie. Brownies are not too soft or fluffy such as a cake, but they are chewy, moist, and downright indulgent.
The great thing about brownies as well is that they can be enjoyed whenever. One does not need to be celebrating a special occasion to enjoy a delectable brownie. The brownie is a treat that can be enjoyed at any time, and when given as a gift, is sure to bring a smile to those lucky enough to receive them.
However, with the abundance of chocolate and sugar, brownies may not be an option for those looking to live a healthy lifestyle. On the contrary, brownies are outright avoided by people such as diabetics who need to monitor their sugar intake.
Good thing then that there are alternatives to traditional brownie recipes that make use of healthier ingredients. One such ingredient is the sugar substitute, stevia. Hundreds of times sweeter than sugar in the same quantities, stevia somehow does not have any carbohydrates and calories. Stevia brownies then are perfect for those looking to enjoy an indulgent brownie whilst maintaining a healthy diet.
Stevia: the Healthy Sugar Substitute
Stevia is sugar substitute extracted from the leaves of a plant species called Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni. It is a branch bushy shrub that is part of the Asteraceae family that is closely related to asters and chrysanthemums. It is native to the Amambay region in the northeast of Paraguay, but can also be found in other parts of South America.
Stevia provides the same sweet taste as sugar but with no calories and carbohydrates. This immediately makes it a better alternative than table sugar in terms of its impact on the body. Instead of providing the empty calories and simple carbohydrates that added sugar does, Stevia gives room for the complex carbohydrates that provide nutrients and minerals that sugar normally displaces.
Sweet and Fit Stevia
Sweet and Fit Stevia is grown and harvested locally at the Sweet and Fit Stevia Farm in Brgy. Tambobong, Bocaue, Bulacan. According to the Food and Drug Administration of the Philippines, Sweet and Fit Stevia was the first registered stevia powder. It has no cholesterol, no calories, no carbs, and is 100% natural. Most importantly, Sweet and Fit Stevia has no bitter taste, making it a suitable substitute for sugar. Sweet and Fit Stevia is perfect for those trying to maintain a healthy diet.
Stevia Brownie Recipe
- 2 ½ tablespoons of Sweet and Ft Stevia
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flower
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Two large eggs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line an 8×8 inch baking dish with foil. Leave an overhang to easily and coat the foil with non-stick spray to easier extract the brownies later on
- Melt butter over medium heat then let it cool slightly. Combine in a medium bowl the stevia, cocoa, and salt. Whisk.
- Steadily pour the melted butter into the dry ingredients and continuously whisk to blend. Whilst doing so, add the vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat vigorously.
- Add flour stir the mixture, but do not over-mix.
- Transfer the batter to the baking dish and spread evenly
- Bake until the top layer cracks. Check with a toothpick and observe if moist crumbs attach after baking for approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Once it passes the toothpick test, take the tray out of the oven and let the brownies cool completely. Lift the brownies out of the pan and move it to a cutting board.
- Cut the brownies as to your liking and serve your stevia brownies.
Where can I buy Sweet and Fit Stevia in the Philippines?
Sweet and Fit Stevia is manufactured by Glorious Industrial and Development Corporation. Sweet and Fit Stevia products can be purchased at your local Mercury Drug Store, Generika, South Star Drug, and other leading drugstores. It can also be bought at Robinsons Supermarket, Waltermart, Ever Gotesco, Landmark, and other supermarkets nationwide.
For those looking to shop online, Sweet and Fit Stevia is also available on the official GIDC website and on popular online marketplaces.
Glorious Industrial and Development Corporation
72 Nuestra Señora St. 6th Ave.
1400 Metro Manila