Foodfindsasia.com | Steps To Make Pandoro Cake At Home | Looking more like a Christmas tree, pandoro is a symbol of Christmas in Italy. It is a traditional sweet bread that is generally eaten during the holiday season. Talking about pandoro, we must tell you that it originates from Vernoa- a northern Italian town in Italy which was earlier famous for the romantic love story of Romeo and Juliet.
Pandoro Italian cake is made of golden bread with the fluffy and light golden interior on the inside, which is due to the yeast and brown of the outside. However, there are no raisins, candies, or fruits in the cake, and this makes it more likable by many.
If you go out to buy pandoro cake, you will see that the cakes available at stores usually come with a filling like chocolate cream or any other. Most of the Italian people like to shop for pandoro cake rather than baking one themselves because they find it time-consuming and tough to cook one at home. However, baking a pandoro cake at home can be more rewarding, and you will realize this after you devour it all.
Well, if you are looking forward to baking a pandoro cake at home, then this article is for you. Here, we will talk about the ingredients and recipe to bake a pandoro cake at home.
So, let us start with the ingredients. To bake a pandoro cake, you will need:
- 20 grams of yeast
- All-purpose flour- 300 grams
- One egg- whole
- Five egg yolks
- Sugar (granulated)- 120 grams
- Butter (unsalted)- 200 grams
- Extract of Vanilla- 1 tbsp.
- Cream- ½ cup
- Lemon- 1
- Sugar (powdered)- 30 grams
For preparing a mold, you will need:
- Unsalted butter- 2 tbsp
- Flour (all-purpose)- 2 tbsp
Steps to bake the cake
- Collect all the ingredients, as mentioned. Make sure that you have all the ingredients required to bake the cake.
- Once you have all the ingredients, start by crumbling the yeast in a bowl (preferably large) and mix it with one egg yolk, 1/3rd cup of flour, and sugar (1 tbsp.). Mix it all with water to make a soft dough. After preparing the soft dough, cover the bowl with a soft cloth and allow the mixture to sit for at least 2 hours in a warm place.
- Mix remaining 1 ⅓ of the flour on the surface and combine it well with the remaining sugar- 1/4th cup of sugar. Now, place the dough on the top and add butter- 3 tbsp and egg yolks- 3. Knead the mixture well and then turn it into the shape of a ball.
- Once you get the dough prepared, pour some flour in a bowl, and then let the mixture sit in the same pot for at least 2 hours.
- Now, mix the remaining 1/4th cup of sugar and 1/3rd cup of flour and mix the same in the dough with a whole egg and other remaining egg yolks. Knead the dough properly until you feel that it is homogenous and then put it in a bowl that is floured. Now, let it sit for another 2 hours.
- The next step is to add lemon juice and vanilla extract in the dough and then knead some cream int the dough until it is absorbed.
- Spead the prepared dough and then shape it into a triangle. Cut butter into small chunks and place the cubes over the flat dough.
- Now, try and fold the dough sheet and then roll it out. Pre-heat your oven at around 200 C, sprinkle flour and butter the mold, make it upside down, and then tap it to remove the excess flour.
- Now, roll the dough into the shape of a ball, and keep it in the mold. Make sure that the dough is halfway into the mold. Now, cover the mold with a soft piece of cloth and then allow it to sit for about 20-30 minutes in a warm place.
- Bake the cake and then reduce the heat to 180 C and bake for the next 30 minutes. Now, unmold the cake and allow it to cool.
- Voila!! It is ready to eat and make sure to dust it with powdered sugar before serving to your folks.
Still, if you don’t feel like cooking one at home, then you always have an option to explore where to buy pandoro and get yourself one from the store. Also, you can buy pandoro online as and when you want.