1 kilo pork with bones and skin, cut into serving pieces (inform meat seller about your intention to cook pork caldereta)
2 medium size red/green bell pepper, cut into wedges
2 medium size potato, cut into wedges
1 small can liver spread (the one that has the blue and yellow label can)
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. peppercorns, crushed
2 medium size onion, chopped
1/2 head garlic, chopped
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 tsp hot sauce
2- 3 pcs. siling labuyo
3 bay leaf (dahon ng laurel)
cooking oil (any vegetable oil will do)
Dilute cornstarch in 1/2 cup of water
- In a large saucepan put pork add enough water to cover meat, boil quickly for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and discard liquid, rinse pork with running water to remove all scum, drain and keep aside.
- Using same saucepan, sauté garlic and onion, add meat and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, hot sauce and stir cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in pineapple juice, 6-8 cups of water, ground peppercorns and bay leaf bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes or until pork are tender, add more water as necessary.
- Add potatoes and continue to simmer for 3-5 minutes or potatoes are cook and just enough sauce remains.
- Add liver spread, cheddar cheese and siling labuyo, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and season with salt to taste, cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add water diluted cornstarch and stir cook until sauce thicken.
- Serve hot.